West Virginia DOT's Geospatial Transportation Information section is envisioned to integrate and develop a comprehensive strategy
for an enterprise-wide Geographic Information System to support and track projects
from design stage to completion. At the core of this will be the location referencing of transportation assets and
projects along the West Virginia DOT's Linear Referencing System. In order to facilitate this vision, a complex transportation data model has been created to integrate geospatial data with existing non-spatial data.
- To provide transportation information to the public in a timely manner via the internet
- To establish a common spatial base map for all WVDOT Agencies to utilize
- To develop an atmosphere of geospatial data sharing
- To improve data communication between WVDOT Agencies
- To promote more informed design-making
enable the Road Inventory Log
- Research spatially enabling Project Tracking System
- Create GIS base layers
- Definition of roles and responsibilities
- Development of Metadata
- Migration of State and County Maps to GIS base.
- Develop application for Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP)
- Integrate E-911 addressing into WVDOT Transportation Data Model.
To successfully use geospatial information technology to create a comprehensive and coordinated
understanding of West Virginia's transportation system.